It may be February, but for me, January and February (and maybe even March and April here in Wisconsin) are often the hardest months of winter. If you live somewhere freezing cold like I do, sometimes it can be hard to keep your spirits up with the winter blues creeping in. This year, I’ve been making a conscious effort to not only survive winter, but to enjoy it! While winter isn’t my favorite season, I’ve found some simple joys that have helped me stay happy in the midst of a dark and cold season. I hope you find these helpful! I’ll share more details below…
1. Fresh fruit – it may be winter but I have been loving fresh citrus (oranges, grapefruits, & clementines) and delicious pomegranate!
2. Fresh flowers – they always lift my spirits and brighten a space
3. Green smoothies – I swear by them! I make this recipe every morning for energy and lots of vitamins.
4. Arts & Crafts / knitting – when spending a lot of time indoors, I’ve found such comfort in creating with my hands. Whether it’s painting, knitting, or a DIY project, it’s the perfect time to create!
5. Bright colors – wearing bright colors adds a little skip in my step. I just love my ALL Knitwear scarf! (blue tee is from J.Crew)
6. Argan oil – my new solution to dry winter skin. I love using oils to moisturize my face. It may sound counter-intuitive if you’re used to oil-free products, but I promise oil is so good for balancing moisture in the skin. I love Josie Maran’s Organic Argan Oil…and a close second is organic jojoba oil!
7. Yoga – the ultimate winter blues cure that is so good for the mind and body. My motivation is thinking about how warm the studio is going to feel. :)
8. Tea – rather than rushing and making a quick cup of tea, I’ve been trying to appreciate the ritual. Try using a pretty mug and sipping slowly. And it’s extra comforting with a homemade cookie once in a while. :)
Also, not pictured are sunshine (yes, even in winter!)…and wine. ;)
I’d love to hear if you have any other tips – please leave them in the comments!
Happy winter everyone! Spring is just around the corner…
(top photo via my Instagram)